Sunday 7 February 2010

Growing things!




My current final year project concerns natural growth, how nature adapts to different environments, and how it can regenerate from decay of other materials. Have ben experimenting growing crystals, lichen, and rust on fabric. Lichen is currently rotting in my kitchen.. not too successful.. or hygienic... Rust gives fantastic colouring and looks very organic, at the moment though the crystal growing is giving the best results! I feel like a child doing experiments again! Tis fun and they are shiney so what could be better?!
The bottom photo comes from a collection I acquired after visiting the School of Life Sciences within Dundee University. The lovely helpful people there let me use the labsa to grow crystals and then use their superduper microscope/digital camera which is connected to a pc to allow instant capture of a microscopic image. So tis the babies I grew up blown up to 100 times their actual size! awww I'm so proud. myy prreecciiooouuss...

No comments:

Post a Comment